Monday, April 12, 2010

Talent, knowledge or experience?

I just created this new meme on sleeQo. You're tagged :-)

Rules: We study, but then don't necessarily end up doing what we learned. Here's your chance to say why you think you're good at something that you do - either your job or one or more aspects of it - or something you do as a hobby.
  • Did you have any formal study of this?

    No, but my printing and language studies are very relevant.
  • Did you have any informal study / Did you learn on-the-job?

    I learned on the job and I've read a lot on the topic - including textbooks and articles. I also have Ohad to consult with (which I often do).
  • What do you think contributes most to your ability to do this well?

    Some of it is definitely talent - an ability to look at things in different ways from other people, to separate topics and reorganize them... and experience is also a huge factor.
  • What of the following do you think contributes *least* to your ability to do this well: studies, on-the-job training, learning from experts informally, experience, other

    I think that some of the theoretical material has proven useless, as reality often dictates solutions that contradict it.
  • Is this more a job or a hobby or a combination of the two?

    More of a job.
  • Do you consider yourself a professional?

    Yes.
  • Do other people ask for your advice?

    Yes.
  • Do you enjoy what you do?

    Mostly. I particularly enjoy starting a new project and higher level design OR finding solutions to things that are really complicated.
  • Do you continue to seek more knowledge so that you can improve at what you do?

    All the time.
  • Until what age do you think you want to continue doing this?

    I don't know... 10-15-20 years, I guess.
  • (Optional) What was your subject for this meme?

    user interface design
Everyone tagged
Click here to fill in this meme
sleeQo

1 comment:

Bea said...

It's interesting to see how career paths evolve. I'm not entirely sure I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing yet... maybe I should come back and do this meme in about 10-20yrs and we'll see how things turned out?

Bea